How To Get a Divorce in Malaysia


How to get a Divorce in Malaysia - Divorce Lawyer

Types of Divorce

There are TWO types of divorce in Malaysia : Joint Petition and Single Petition of Divorce

In the event where BOTH HUSBAND AND WIFE agree to end their marriage, a JOINT PETITION may be filed accordingly. A decree of divorce may be made once the Court is satisfied that both parties freely consent and that proper provisions have been made for the wife and children. 

A Joint Petition is faster, cheaper and a straightforward process.

On the other hand, if ONLY ONE PARTY wishes to end the marriage, be it either the wife or the husband, either party may petition for a divorce (SINGLE PETITION) on the ground that the marriage has irretrievably broken down.

Grounds for Divorce

If you are considering to file for a divorce based on your wife or husband’s actions, the Court may consider the following question of facts:

  • Whether your husband or wife has committed adultery?
  • Did your spouse deserted/left you for a continuous period of 2 years?
  • Whether you have lived apart from your husband or wife for a continuous period of 2 years?
  • If there are any physical or mental abuse in your relationship?
  • Whether the husband or wife are addicted to drugs or alcohol?

At Veeran & Tan, our lawyers are here to protect your rights during a divorce and make sure that you are able to walk away with fair results. This is particularly important if the matter turns contentious. For more information on how we can help during a divorce, call 014-9508667 or 016-4770087 to schedule a free consultation.

By viewing this website you agree that no solicitors-client relationship is intended or created. The content within this website is informational and general in nature only. The information contained herein may not reflect the most current legal developments, is not intended to constitute legal advice and should not be used for this purpose. Visitors to this website should not act on any of the information contained herein without first obtaining qualified legal advice.

Call Now Button